Thursday 5 March 2015

Nike vs Facebook

Last week I went to a talk at the Melbourne Social Media Club.

I'd been a regular at these sort of nights a few years back but not so much recently.

What attracted me to the talk in question was that the social media manager from Nike was talking.

During her talk she aired her frustration that Facebook and Instagram owned the communities Nike had built on their platforms.

And so Nike was looking to build their own social platform. Which at first glance sounds like the smart thing to do.

But surely what we love about Facebook and other social platforms is the way they connect people with diverse interests.

Which enables content to be shared far beyond its intended demographic or audience.

Going viral I believe the popular term is!

Anyway what I was wondering is how this can happen if Nike build contained platforms. Places where only sports fans go rather than all your friends.

Seems a bit limiting and narrow focused to me. Guess we'll have to wait and see.