Friday 15 March 2013

Shazam or scam?

A PR piece by Shazam has been doing the rounds of the advertising trade press this week.

It features usage stats that are seriously impressive.

But for me they look a bit too impressive.

For instance they're saying that there are 7 million users in Australia.

Really?

That seems awfully high for a country with a population of 22 million.

In fact that would mean one in three Australians is a Shazam user.

Call me a cynic. Call me a skeptic. But I'm calling bullshit on that figure.

Smartphone penetration in Australia is predicted to hit 50% of the population by the end of this year.

Based on that let's say there's around 10 million smartphones in Australia.

Which means (according to the Shazam stats) that 70% of Australian smartphone owners are Shazam users.

Sorry but I just don't believe it.

I'd like to. But it just doesn't seem feasible.