Wednesday 25 January 2012

Award entry videos


Hate to be cynical (I really do) but every time I see an award entry case study video of late I hark back to my days as a teenage punk rocker singing along to Garageland by The Clash.

If you're not familiar with the song the opening line is;

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector"

And that's exactly what springs to mind when I see those videos.

Bullshit.

Not all of them obviously. But some of them.

Why?

Because it often looks like the budget for the video was bigger than the budget for the job.

And the results they quote are often not real hard facts but things like page views and brand impressions.

Far be it from me to even suggest that judges are often swayed by the video rather than the work.

But I can't help thinking that we'd give out a lot less advertising awards if the work had to stand on its own two feet.

And that ain't ever gonna happen. So here's The Clash.