Thursday 20 December 2007

Better banners


A couple of months ago I wrote about banner ads for my Marketing magazine column.

Yesterday a comment was left on the article by Digital Sponge.

I thought I'd share it with you:

"There's nothing wrong with banners as a format - imagine them as miniature posters, with a bit of extra movement. If clients and agencies took them more seriously, then maybe the standard would go up.

However, at the moment, banners are added to a campaign last, when the client's purse is empty, used as a dumping ground for loads of stray tactical messages and made on such ridiculously low budgets that often the only option is repurposing existing assets.

Give banners some love, and maybe they'll love you back."

I think he's got a point. Don't you?

Click here for a banner that was obviously made with a lot of love.