Saturday 28 April 2007

Outsourcing advertising


A press release from the Commonwealth Bank landed in my inbox yesterday.

I've been very busy of late, so I didn't get to it till this morning.

When I started to read, I could not believe my eyes.

The great Australian bank has appointed San Francisco agency Goodby Silverstein as its brand agency.

As John McEnroe used to say, you cannot be serious!

Our banks seem to be outsourcing everything these days, but I never thought they'd outsource their advertising.

No disrepect to Goodby, who are a terrific agency, but Australia is hardly short of world class talent.

On a per capita basis Australia ranked number one at Cannes last year.

Not that anyone cares what I think, but I reckon those marketing folks at the Commonwealth Bank are downright un-Australian!

And I really can't believe I just said that.